Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Just call me "Plumber Julie"

I'll give you three guesses as to what I found clogging my sink tonight.

I was not very happy when my sink decided to not drain this evening...I kept thinking about what a roommate could have put down the disposal (like potato peels) or if there was some kind of greasy buildup. I like to do things myself so instead of calling for help, I fixed the problem.

After trying a plunger and some drain opener, I still had a sink full of water so I emptied that out using a pot and a bathtub drain then attacked the u-bend. I was very surprised when I took the u-bend off and found this:


Yes, ladies and gentlemen, that would be a common, household butter knife. No, I did not use the knife to find what was in the u-bend, the knife was in the u-bend. It did come in handy to make sure there was nothing else there, but this was the main culprit. Who knows long it has been there, it's not my knife (very similar to my knives, but not quite), but by the way it looks, it has been awhile. It did have a few accomplices (potato peels) which is why it caused a problem tonight. It certainly makes more sense as to why it seems my sink tends to clog up easily and why it sends odoriferous sensations throughout the kitchen.

4 comments:

Pam said...

Good work plumber Julie! I say we string the roommate up by her potato peels!

Jen said...

You are a wonder woman! Unclogging drains is my least fav thing to do. Our bathroom sink was clogged once and Brett just used the garden hose. You stick it in the sink and turn it on full blast (put a towel around it too or you will be soaked) and viola! Although this wouldn't have helped in this instance. You rock.

Allison said...

Hi Julie! It is fun to look at your blog :-) That knife looks totally gross.. I am impressed with your skills!

...Laura... said...

I've been needing some new butter knives... can you send it my way?