Sunday, May 1, 2011

Lists

I have a few friends that have made lists of things to do before a certain time like 101 things in 1,001 days or # of next birthday age things to do by birthday whether it be started from one birthday to the next or from this point on.  I think these list things are cool and good to get you doing things you wouldn't normally do if you hadn't set the goal and given yourself a deadline.  I keep thinking that I want to create such a list but I feel like I would be a copy cat and I wouldn't be able to successfully complete the list.  I also worry about finding a big list of things I should do or how long I should take.  I think the goal I will set for myself to work on for right now will be coming up with a list then maybe I can decide how long to give myself.  Any ideas or suggestions?

3 comments:

Jen said...

Couple of jars? Goals in one jar and a deadline in the other? blindfold your self and pick out slips of paper with a limit of one do-over on the deadlines per goal?

Diane Conn said...

Yes. Goal one-Paint the bathroom.
Time Limit- 15 minutes...GO!!

J and A said...

I remember a youth leader (maybe Bishopric member?) introducing the idea of a long goal list as a teenager and he shared his he had made many years ago and how slowly, over time he had found ways to accomplish things on it (like taking a short 2 day trip to fish in Alaska just to say he did it).

I like your idea, just make the list. No restrictions on how long, but whenever you think of something, add it. When you look back later than think "That's dumb, I don't really want to do THAT anymore", cross it out. And when the opportunity comes to fit in one of the goals, go for it. Your timeline is your lifetime. Your list is ever-changing and being modified to be yours.

I do agree that the list is a neat way to process just how we really can do anything with our lives. Good luck! Love, Anna